Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Bless Your Heart"

So I was in Target on Thursday, picking up a new watch battery since Brayden decided that my really, really nice watch that was an anniversary gift from Jason two years ago, belonged in the trashcan unbeknownst to me.  Out to the trash it went.  Needless to say, going to my backup watch, the battery was dead and needed to be replaced.  I'm standing at the jewelry counter waiting my turn with my double stroller...Jackson in the front, Brayden in the back.  An older woman looks at me and says, "twins??".  "No", I reply.  She points, "one, two, and another one on the way?"  "Yep (with a smile)", I say.  Her next line..."Bless your heart".  What is that supposed to mean?  Of course many things run through my head to say back one of which is exactly what I just said, "What is that supposed to mean?", but of course, I smile and nod, since I'm still sick, have 2 cranky kids that are ready to go, and am trying to respect my elders.  It's now been 3 days and it is still on my mind which is why I'm now blogging about it.

So, I wish I would have said that to her just to see exactly what she meant.  It does seem overwhelming when you look at us.  I'm sure people are wondering if I'm getting a triple stroller, the econo van, among the most popularly asked question, "was this planned?"

To answer all of the above, NO, No, and sort of.  If you know Jason and I at all, you know how much we have been through in the last 5 1/2 years of our marriage.  We were told that we would not be able to have any children after he went through 6 months of aggressive chemo therapy for his cancer.  We feel that children are a blessing, after thinking we would never have any, to have two healthy boys, and a 3rd on the way, despite the outcome, we know he's a blessing in another way.


3 comments:

  1. Don't let those people bother you...sometimes I don't think people think before they speak! I had a similar comment made to me by someone in the Doctor's Office...not quite as nice as "Bless Your Heart", but that basically I must be crazy to have things happen where there will be 2 in diapers...just let it go in one ear and out the other! Hope you are feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I remember when I was huge preggers with my eldest and was babysitting a friends son that was about 14 months old, I went to a garage sale. As I walked past a car, someone inside said, "Geez, she's already having another one!" I wish I would have turned around and said, "Thank goodness I was able to leave the other 4 at home." Or something like that. People don't think before the speak. I think you did the right thing-just ignore and pray for those that know not of what they speak :) Loved seeing you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lisa, don't give that woman another thought. The things people have said to me are unimaginable and most times I answer back with "yes my hands are full and I am so glad they are!."or, "no I am not glad it wasn't eight at once, I would love to have eight more." THEY JUST STARE AT YOU! Pretty funny! People are clueless as to what is going on in your life or anyone elses. Keep the faith Lisa!I grew up with the same things, horrible things I remember people saying to my mom as we went to the mall etc, her with 5 kids,the last 3 born in 16 mos. She warned me about the ignorance of others and she was right! You are always in our prayers! Jen H

    ReplyDelete