Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Heart

It's been such a whirlwind since Patrick was born. Things I thought I never could do, I've done. My heart is broken, hurting. No pain medicine can make it feel better. I'm trying to recover from surgery, focus on my boys, be supportive for my husband, and grieve the loss of my baby. Sometimes it feels surreal. Did this really happen?

I decided to spend an extra day at the hospital to try and recover more before coming home. I'm so glad I decided this. I didn't come home until Saturday morning. I thought I was ready to come home. Things had been all taken care of, at least I thought. As I'm waiting for my discharge paperwork to be completed, Jason came barging through the door of my room flustered and angry. We find out the hospital made a huge mistake with Patrick and our paperwork we had filled out for the funeral arrangements. Without going into details, all of my preparation ahead of time to make this as easy as possible for when we were in the hospital was all for nothing. The hospital blamed the funeral home and the funeral home blamed the hospital. Needless to say, I was hysterically crying and Jason was not the person who needed to fix this, so we called his parents who came to the rescue. All I can say is that without them, Patrick's funeral would have not happened until next week. I knew I couldn't wait that long, and thankfully we didn't have too. I just told Ray that I needed someone to fight for Jason and I and he said one of the nicest things I've heard in my life, "I'll fight for you, Jason, and Patrick." Patrick needed his Pa to make sure he was taken care of with dignity and respect and he was.

The funeral was postponed by just a few hours. All the people who we had invited were still able to make it. That was important to us. My friends from AECPTA prepared a wonderful lunch for our family and friends prior to the service. So many people took the time to come over and have lunch, pay their respects, and then attend Patrick's funeral. I felt so loved and supported and it gave our families a chance to see how important our friends are to us and how much they love us too.

Patrick's funeral was peaceful. When I was walking up to the garden, all I saw was the hole and I lost it. Hiding behind my sunglasses wasn't enough. I know everyone could hear me sob. I felt like my heart had jumped out of my body. I wanted to jump in the hole with my baby. I thought that I wasn't sure I was actually going to make it. As Jason and I sat down, Fr. Mike went to get Jason a towel as the sweat was pouring off his head. The church bells started to play. I think it was Immaculate Mary playing and was beautiful. I couldn't have planned it better. Fr. Mike then began the service, reading from scripture and also a letter he had. He blessed the hole with holy water, sprinkled rose petals into the ground, and then poured his ashes there. He began to fill the hole with dirt and asked our family and friends to do so if they felt they wanted too. Jason and I walked up and placed a scoop in ourselves. I couldn't even bend down to get the dirt or I would have put in more. Thankfully my brother, Jeff, was there. He came forward and began to fill in the hole. He just kept going and all I can think of was "he's doing this for me". I watched in awe of him as he was going to make sure he did all he could for me. It was my favorite moment of the whole funeral. I'll never forget it as long as I live. Then Jason's parents, Ray and Sue, took a turn. Then my parents, Jack and Cheryl. Lastly, Liz, went and poured in a scoop of dirt before Fr. Mike filled the rest in. After a short prayer, it was over. Several of our family members as well as Jason and I laid white roses on top of his little grave. It was finally over.

The last five months have been full of anxiety and questions. The final steps of this journey were over and now we can start to heal and keep Patrick as a part of our daily lives.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, Lisa..you are one of the strongest women I know! I cannot begin to imagine going through this. You, still healing from the delivery, and trying to do all you can. I wish I'd been there to hug you and hold you close. My heart breaks for you. I do hope that in some way, you can move on with healing now. Our love is sent your way. I have added many, many people to the prayer list from around here. I know it doesn't help, but your family, and especially Patrick, has so many peopel praying for you all. Hugs and love from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good bless you Lisa. Your faith has brought you through the toughest part and now that same faith will continue to lead you forward and help heal your broken heart. I'm sorry for what you had to go through with your arrangements. That must have made an already difficult time even more trying. You and your family are still upheld with prayers of more people than you know. -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been more proud of our family and its extensions. Im glad God and my little St. Patrick used me to help you. Im very thankfull for that. Im glad I got to spend some time with yall. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lisa! this is rhonda dees from mops. do you remember me? i found you through andi's blog. she and i went to high school together.

    anyway, i am so very very sorry to read about all you've been through! i will be praying for you. hard. and if anyone has coordinated anything, i'd love to bring y'all a meal when you're ready to receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,
    The service for Patrick was beautiful. It was awesome to see all of the love and support you have with your family and friends. Fr. Mike did a great job. What a wonderful thing to be the mother of a saint in heaven, your child you knew from conception to the end-his entire life.
    I found this quote on a blog and thought of you. I imagine you felt this way many times and you kept moving on:
    “For many years, I’ve known and believed God’s Word, but I’ve never had to stand upon it when everything else around me seems to be sinking- to trust what His word says when the circumstances don’t make sense- and to trust in His future promises when all I can feel is sorrow.”
    I cried as I read your entry today and my sweet Lilly said, "Mama, your friend doesn't have to be sad, she will see Patrick again." So true..
    my prayers are with you and your family as always.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you, Lisa and cannot wait to see you again. I wish I was closer to come spend time with you during the day. We have loved Patrick from the first day you told us about him. I hope you know that. Please call me when you're feeling up to it. I'd love to talk to you!

    ReplyDelete